Two arrested on felony drug charge

Second busy week in a row, it included the July 4th holiday so that was to be expected. We had a total of 65 calls for service and officers conducted 73 traffic stops. Those stops resulted in 48 citations and 25 warnings.
For a large number of calls, we really didn’t have that much actual crime related activity. The big arrests this week was the result of a traffic collision. These two fellows were headed north on Main St. when they somehow lost control and struck two parked vehicles and a sign. During the investigation Lt. Dear and Cpl. Robison recovered about 16 grams of meth, as well as some little baggies and a scale. They were both booked on a 1st Degree Felony Narcotic Possession with Intent to Distribute. Thankfully no one was hurt; their business plans for the day did change though. Another fellow was cited and released for theft at the H.E.B. C-Store. He made off with some beef jerky and a fountain drink. It seems the price per pound of beef jerky is just slightly below the cost of gold.
Property crimes for the past week were fairly limited. On Saturday a fellow took a bag of softball gear from the bed of a pickup at the H.E.B. C-Store, the property was valued at over $1,000. The good news is the suspect was located and the property was recovered! Sunday was the day of the missing tablets. Lt. Dear took a report that an iPad was left in the restroom at the Whataburger and somebody “lifted” it. I personally never take my iPad into public restrooms. A few hours later Capt. Reyes responded to the Dollar Tree, a child set his 7” Samsung tablet somewhere and somebody “lifted” it too. It is sad that there are so many people that think nothing of stealing from somebody; it’s also job security for us. If everybody followed the Ten Commandments I would most likely need to apply for a job at the new Burger King.
Last Wednesday we celebrated the life of J.W. Petrash, a 40-year career Peace Officer who spent the last 8 years of his career with us. He was taken from this world too soon. He had a lot of friends and made a lot of positive impact on people. His service was packed, standing room only. He was a very good man.
Well, the fireworks show didn’t disappoint. We had a great turn out; I would estimate well over 2,000 people. About 1,300 hot dogs were served and the weather was hot, but we did have a decent breeze. Nobody got arrested, nobody got hurt and nobody got sick eating the hotdogs – to us that is a sign of a successful event.