Devine Middle School teacher Michele Rumfield posted a student/parent guideline to enhance student-learning experiences while all are currently “homebound” during the Coronavirus pandemic. Mrs. Rumfield readily admits it was not she who compiled the helpful list but felt the information was important to share during this time.
Google Classroom is presently the mode of engagement and learning between educators and students. Rolls and responsibilities that are commonplace in all school districts when school is in regular session should be adhered to during this time away from school.
Student Roles and Responsibilities
- Establish daily routines for engaging in the learning experiences.
- Identify a space in your home where you can work effectively and successfully.
- Identify a space in your home where you can participate in live online learning. Sit at a table with a wall behind you, if possible.
- Regularly monitor online platforms.
- Engage in all learning with academic honesty.
- Communicate proactively with your teachers if you cannot meet deadlines or require additional support.
- Comply with the school district’s internet safety policies including expectations for online etiquette.
Parent Rolls & Responsibilities – Provide support for your children by:
- Establishing routines and expectations.
- Defining the physical space for your child to study.
- Monitoring communications from your child’s teachers.
- Beginning and ending each day with a check-in.
- Taking an active role in helping your child process his/her learning.
- Establishing times for quiet and reflection.
- Encouraging physical activity and/or exercise.
- Remaining mindful of your child’s stress or worry.
- Monitoring how much time your child is spending online.
- Keeping your child social, but set rules around their social media interactions.
Mrs. Rumfield has been an educator for 24 years including the last five at Devine Middle School. She teaches Principles of Agriculture and Career Readiness at DMS. Thank you Mrs. Rumfield for taking the time to share these very important roles and responsibilities!
By Jerel Beaty